Friday, October 30, 2015

The Birthing Place: to give birth and have a baby are not the same thing

In 2011 I I got approved to have a licensed birth center. My homebirth practice was already called The Birthing Place. I use to get calls all the time because woman thought that it was a birth center. I choose the name because after about 15 years of practice I realized that many woman did not believe that they could actually give birth. Their introduction to the medical model of care left women feeling that they needed a building called a hospital and an person called a doctor to give birth. mY GOAL WAS AND IS TO INFORM WOMAN THAT THEY CAN GIVE BIRTH ANY WHERE. Giving birth, though it is a physical phenomenon it is also a mental state of being that I feel women need to connect with. During prenats my clients and I spend time talking about reaching the state of being of giving birth. The reality is that to give birth and a process and to have a baby is a procedure. As midwives. we join a woman on her journey to give birth. We monitor her prenatally to encourage her to eat properly, get adequate rest and to adjust to the ever changing stresses of life. I try to get my moms to laugh as much as possible to lighten load from the new normals. What I hear from woman who go to the doctor is that they are told what to do and what IS GOING TO HAPPEN BEFORE IT HAPPENS. " " We need to induce because the baby is growing to big . If you go past 41 weeks the placenta has deteriorated and will not withstand the riggers of labor so lets cut the baby out. There is a tool (biophysical profile) that can be performed that tells us the health of the placenta." I can go on and on about the the difference between having a baby and giving birth. All I want you to get out of this read is that there is a difference and you should choose which arena best suits your needs. Do not think that you can go to one store and get a service that that store does not offer because you will be disappointed. DO YOUR RESEARCH

1 comment:

  1. So, I presently am not a mother, however of course have had baby fever for well over five years. I was told about You from a couple I met at a writing conference. We were, then, simply discussing my wanting to start up a private preschool for little one's of color. Yet linking to You brought me to The Birthing Center which triggered the research again.

    I am very much, have been for a long while, interested in a homestyle water birth. I had in the past research, found very few organizations that have well trained, experienced, and knowledgeable doulas that specialize in the Love aspect as well. I find that as I follow TBC on instagram, I am continuously being pulled to the center. As to say, you(I) have come to the right place.

    I have also had other concerns and/or curiosities revolving around my age, and simply whether or not I can even have a child. Though part of that has always been a thought of mine, from even when I was a child myself. Though I do look forward to learning more about You and TBC in hopes that we can become closer as I near the day I finally decide, it is time.

    ReplyDelete