Monday, April 17, 2017

I LOVE WHAT I DO

<< I, Afua Hassan am very lucky. The universe has seen fit to partner me with a profession that I love: MIDWIFERY. Even when I am completely exhausted, disappointed or just feel like being in the bed and watching television, when the phone rings and a mom is on the other end with a question, concern or possibly in labor , I get energized. As a midwife, I get invited to go on a journey of pregnancy,labor,birth and years after the event. A returning client came in the office the other day to register. It was like a reunion. We reminisced about her first homebirth. She was 7 cm when I walked in. We had to hustle to get the pool up and within 2 hours her little gift arrived. This visit, we heard the heartbeat for the first time and our journey was confirmed. This is one big family at The Birthing Place. Moms gather for group prenatal where we share stories, get needed information laugh and get fed all in a two hour span of time. One day a dad asked me when they would be able to share, so the dads group was born. What I like about this community is that families get together and spend time outside of The Birthing Place. Right now two of may dads are in Las Vegas having a good time. Families have even had their second babies together and since they spent time together in their first pregnancies they have built in friends and a support system. My advice to all pregnant moms is to explore what you want/need in a healthcare provider. If you don't know what that is, spending time interviewing as many healthcare providers that you need until you find the right fit. Have a list of question of at least 10 question to ask them all. Record the consultation if you are not a good note taker. REMEMBER: You only get to birth this baby one time. There are no do overs. Just the next baby. THE BIRTH YOU WANT IS SOMETHING TO WANT

No comments:

Post a Comment